Information Security Summer School
|Date||July 31 - August 11, 2017 (10 days)|
|Place||Faculty of Information Technology, BUT, Czech Republic|
|Course||Information Security (in English)|
|Price||200 euros (or 5,300 CZK + DPH)|
|Registration||Kenyan students register at Strathmore until the end of May 2017. FIT students register by e-mail to Dr. Petr Matoušek until the end of June 2017.|
This summer school is organized for MSc. students of Strathmore University under the frame of bilateral cooperation with Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya expressed by MoU signed between the Universities. In case of free places, also FIT students can register.
The summer school is practically oriented. Students will configure network devices and applications, monitor traffic and provide security analysis of captured data using given tools. Prerequisites for Kenyan students covering relevant courses of Modules 1 to 5 of MSc. in Information Systems Security are expected.
Kenyan students pay the summer school fee via Strathmore University. FIT students pay the fee at FIT until the end of June.
Accommodation for Kenyan students is reserved at student hostel Purkynova.
Useful information about the country
- The Czech Republic is a state in the Central Europe. It is a member of the European Union since 2004.
- The Czech Republic covers an area of 78,866 square kilometres and has about 10.5 million inhabitants.
- The capital and largest city is Prague, with over 1.2 million residents.
- The official language is Czech. Many (especially young) people speak English.
- Czech currency is 1 Czech crown (CZK). Exchange rate is cca 27 CZK = 1 Euro, 24 CZK = 1 USD, see Czech National Bank exchange rates.
- Payments in cash are accepted in CZK only. Many shops, restaurants and hotels accept international credit cards (Visa, Master, etc.). Money can be exchanged in ATMs, banks, or exchange offices.
- Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic. Its population is about 377 thousands people.
- Brno has a large net of public transport (trams, buses, trolleybuses). A single ticket costs 20 CZK (for 15 minutes) or 25 CZK (for 60 minutes). More information can be found at BUT web pages.
- For planning of your journey, use this link.
Summer weather in the Czech Republic lasts usually until the end of September. Since Brno is in the south of the Czech Republic, climate is mild. Daily temperatures are usually about 22 to 26 degrees, in the night around 12 to 16. See the weather forecast at AccuWeather.
Useful information for incoming students by Brno University of Technology
|Day 1||Configuring Cisco network devices: DHCP, NAT, routing.|
|Day 2||IPv6 networking. Tunneling. Capturing network data.|
|Day 3||Securing Networks on Layer 2.|
|Day 4||Network Forensic Analysis using Wireshark, Network Miner and Netfox Detective.|
|Day 5||Digital Forensics Analysis using Sleuth Kit. Image retrieving, disk carving.|
|Day 6||Oracle Security Administration.|
|Day 7||Biometrical Systems and Technologies.|
|Day 8||Configuring WiFi networks. WiFi Attacks and Security.|
|Day 9||Configuring Firewalls.|
|Day 10||Security Monitoring using Syslog, SNMP and NetFlow.|
The classes start every day from 9 am till 5 pm with a break for lunch. A small refreshment will be provided during classes.