|Date||August 29 – September 9, 2016 (10 days)|
|Place||Faculty of Information Technology, BUT, Czech Republic|
|Course||Information Security (in English)|
|Price||100 euros (about 2,750 CZK)|
|Registration||Locally at Strathmore until end of July 2016.|
This summer school is organized under the frame of bilateral cooperation with Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya expressed by MoU signed between the Universities. Only students of MSc. in Information Systems Security, Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya are allowed to participate.
The summer school is practically oriented. Students will configure network devices and applications, monitor traffic and provide security analysis of captured data using given tools. Prerequisites covering relevant mandatory courses from Modules 1 to 5 of MSc. in Information Systems Security are expected.
The summer school fee will be paid by Strathmore University directly. The participants must be registered there.
Students will be accommodated at Students Halls of Residence Listovy koleje. Address: Listovy koleje, Kounicova 506/48, 602 00 Brno, Czech Republic, see map here. Only bedding is provided. Please, take your own towels, slippers, etc. More information can be found at BUT web pages.
Connection from the city center to Listovy koleje is by tram or trolleybus to the stop Klusackova (tram no. 12, trolleybuses no. 34, 36), or to the stop Hrncirska (tram no. 1, 6). You can also use City Taxi Brno.
Useful information about the country
- The Czech Republic is a state in the Central Europe. It is a member of the European Union since 2004.
- The Czech Republic covers an area of 78,866 square kilometres and has about 10.5 million inhabitants.
- The capital and largest city is Prague, with over 1.2 million residents.
- The official language is Czech. Many (especially young) people speak English.
- Czech currency is 1 Czech crown (CZK). Exchange rate is cca 27 CZK = 1 Euro, 24 CZK = 1 USD, see Czech National Bank exchange rates.
- Payments in cash are accepted in CZK only. Many shops, restaurants and hotels accept international credit cards (Visa, Master, etc.). Money can be exchanged in ATMs, banks, or exchange offices.
- Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic. Its population is about 377 thousands people.
- Brno has a large net of public transport (trams, buses, trolleybuses). A single ticket costs 20 CZK (for 15 minutes) or 25 CZK (for 60 minutes). More information can be found at BUT web pages.
- For planning of your journey, use this link.
Summer weather in the Czech Republic lasts usually until the end of September. Since Brno is in the south of the Czech Republic, climate is mild. Daily temperatures are usually about 22 to 26 degrees, in the night around 12 to 16. See the weather forecast at AccuWeather.
Useful information for incoming students by Brno University of Technology
|Day 1||Introduction to Networking. Basic Network Configuration and Monitoring.|
|Day 2||Virtual Private Networks. Capturing Network Data. Data Analysis.|
|Day 3||Securing Networks on Layer 2.|
|Day 4||All-Day Trip.|
|Day 5||Network Forensic Analysis.|
|Day 6||Security of Firewall Networks.|
|Day 7||Database and Application Security.|
|Day 8||Firewalls and Traffic Filtering.|
|Day 9||Advanced Network Management. Security Monitoring.|
|Day 10||Digital Forensic Analysis.|
The classes start every day from 9 am till 5 pm with a break for lunch. A small refreshment will be provided during classes.